Friday, June 20, 2008

My Bloody Valentine - The Roundhouse

Loudest-gig-ever.

When we arrived, there was a few signs up offering free ear-plugs from the merch desk. I thought was a bit of a gimmick - but fortunately a friend at work hooked me up with a couple of pairs in advance - and I'm so glad he did. This was without a doubt the loudest gig I have ever been too. Things started well with the more mellow "Only Shallow" into "When You Sleep" - however as the show went on everything got louder and louder. By the last song "You made me realise" stretched into 15+ minutes of guitar noise/feedback which is being dubbed "holocaust" on some fan websites. It's certainly the first time I've seen people with ear-plugs still covering their ears!
Kimbo was a big fan back in the day so we we're both pretty excited about seeing the first show of their reunion after a 15+ year hiatus. Also the Roundhouse is an ace venue. It was a very cool show - absolutely no between song chat, a 90 min set straight-up no encore. Played everything you wanted to hear, plus a few odd EPs tracks. But it was just so loud. As one wag observed as we we're leaving: "it was like Kevin Shields decided 'the last thing I want everyone to hear is my gig'..".

The other thing that's been kinda funny is all the UK music media treating the MBV reunion with religious fervor. My favorite was Xfm with "sonic cathedrals of sound".


Full Set-List:
Only shallow
When you sleep
You never should
(When you wake) you're still in a dream
Lose my breath
I only said
Come in alone
Thorn
Nothing much to lose
To here knows when
Slow
Blown a wish
Soon
Feed me with your kiss
Sueisfine
You made me realise / 15+ mins of noisy feedback