Monday, May 21, 2007

Fountains Of Wayne - The Astoria

I’m a massive fan of the Fountains of Wayne. I think they’re incredibly under-rated and one of the finest guitar-pop acts this side of Weezer and the Beach Boys.

Unfortunately they only toured Australia once - in support of ‘Eutopia Parkway’ in 1999. I still remember it as a fantastic show, so rich in sweet pop melodies that my teeth hurt the next day. Needless to say, I was incredibly excited to be seeing them for the second time a mere 8 years later!

Opening with “I’ve Got A Flair” from their self titled debut, it was good to see a few songs from this decade-old record getting a decent airing. Other early classics included “Sink To The Bottom”, and a set-closing double-shot of “Radiation Vibe” and “Survival Car”.

I also really liked the choppy “Denise”, a calypso-flavoured “Hey Julie” (complete with two crowd members on shakers) and the slower “Mexican Wine”. While the set-closing trip•tych of “Stacey’s Mom” into “Radiation Vibe” and “Survival Car” sent the crowd into a bit of a frenzy to close the main set.

Songs from the new album ‘Traffic and Weather’ sounded fantastic live, particularly the pulsing title track which opened the first encore, the country-ish “Fire In The Canyon”, the slower “I-95” (complete with disco-ball lighting), and rocking “Somebody to Love”.

Despite the pre-recorded music coming on after the first encore, the crowd managed to coax a second one, and we were treated to the ‘Welcome Interstate Managers’ double-shot of “Bright Future in Sales” and “Bought for a Song".


Full setlist went something like this:
I’ve Got A Flair
No Better Place
It Must Be Summer
Denise
Hey Julie
Yolanda Hayes
Hackensack
I-95
Mexican Wine
Fire In the Canyon
Sink to the Bottom
Strapped For Cash
Somebody To Love
Stacey’s Mom
Radiation Vibe
Survival Car

Encore 1:
Traffic & Weather
Red Dragon Tattoo

Encore 2:
Bright Future in Sales
Bought For a Song